My Christmas Temp Job Doesn’t Pay Minimum Wage, What Can I do?

Started working for Mr Scrooge? Does your pay packet look like a partridge without a pear tree? Today at Unlock the Law we begin our ‘Employment Law Advent’ by outlining when you should be paid minimum wage and what you can do if your employer falls short. On the first day of Christmas Unlock the Law gave to me….some great legal guidance for free.


Should I be paid Minimum Wage?

Most people are entitled to be paid National Minimum Wage (NMW). This includes part-time workers, temporary workers agency workers and those working for small businesses.

As of 1 October 2015 NMW is £6.70 per hour for those ages 21 and over. For those aged between 18-20 NMW is £5.30. For younger workers aged 16 and 17 the NMW is £3.87.

For apprentices under the age of 19, or those in their first year of their apprenticeship, the NMW rate is £3.30.

Unfortunately certain workers are not entitled to NMW these are listed below:

• Family members working in the family business
• Those who live with their employer such as au pairs
• Certain types of trainees on government funded schemes
• Students on work placement
• Members of the armed forces
• Prisoners
• Offshore workers based outside the Uk for the majority of the time
• Those who are self-employed

Furthermore, if your employer provides you with accommodation they may pay you £37.45 less per week.

What Can I do if I am paid less than the minimum wage?

If you are being paid less than minimum wage and you think you should be, you should call the Government's Pay and Work Rights helpline on 0800 917 2368 or ACAS the employment experts on 0300 123 1100. Acas provides free and confidential advice to, employees on what their rights are and what they can do if they have an employment law issue.

Children Prefer that Unhappy Parents Separate - Fa...
Road Safety Awareness Week 2015 - Can I Make a Cla...


Unlock The Blog

Please enter your name.
Invalid email address