If I crash because of a road defect, can I claim compensation for my injury?

If I crash because of a road defect, can I claim compensation for my injury?

We get a lot of questions here at Unlock the Law regarding different kinds of accidents. Sadly, road traffic accidents are common and are sometimes not the fault of any driver, but the road itself. In this circumstance, many people want to know who is to blame and who can a claim for compensation be brought against. Today at Unlock the Law we look at road traffic accidents caused by road defects.

shutterstock 127975460 copy

Road Traffic Accidents Caused by Road Defect, UK

Who is responsible for road defects?

It is your local authority that is responsible for maintaining the roads, however they will not always be responsible causing road traffic accidents, or held liable for causing personal injury as a result of such a defect.  In order to make a successful claim against your local authority you will need to be able to prove that they failed to take reasonable steps to ensure the road was in reasonable condition. For example:

  • If they failed to carry out regular inspections or maintenance on the road
  • If they were aware or made aware of a significant fault in the road  but did not attend to it in a reasonable amount of time or to a reasonable standard. 

Where the local authority has failed in their obligations to maintain the road to a reasonable standard and this results in your injury, you may be entitled to compensation.

Compensation for Accident Caused by Road Defect, UK

In order to give your case the best chance of success, there are a number of things you can do. If possible you should take pictures of the defect that caused your accident and a picture of the accident site. Be sure to note the exact date and time of your accident and take the name and number of any potential witnesses where available. However, if you are seriously injured getting medical assistance should be your priority. It can be helpful to keep a personal injury diary, making note of any expenses incurred, medical appointments attended and any pain or discomfort endured - including things such as sleepless nights or difficulty with every day tasks. 

Contact a Specialist Road Traffic Accident Compensation Solicitor 

Here at Unlock the Law, whilst we offer information on personal injury claims we also look to connect you with the expert solicitors who can help you make a successful claim. We only recommend lawyers that are specialists in their field of law and offer excellent customer service. If you think you may have a personal injury claim call us today to be connected to one of out trusted personal injury partners. There's no obligation, call free on: 0808 274 3187 

More Information

Building Site Accident - Can I be fired if I sue m...
Who do I Claim Compensation from for my Road Traff...

Related Posts


Unlock The Blog

Please enter your name.
Invalid email address